Friday, March 2, 2018

Day 6/7

My students are off to a series of other teachers as I proctor for state testing.  We are currently enjoying the only stop of an international tour of Degas' work.  I thought this would be the perfect time to talk about his work and continue with some additional fraction practice.  I really wanted to make sure that my students were doing something engaging, rather then sitting in study hall, while I was proctoring.



I always like to leave very detailed sub plans.

SUB PLAN

Day 1

I had teachers start out with a warmup discussing Polykleitos and encouraging students to find a connection between dance, visual art, and mathematics.

Math Warmup

Instructors read an article highlighting the current Degas exhibit at the Denver Art Museum.

New Exhibition Tell the Story of Degas

Student received a fraction worksheet.  The result of correct answers is a set of ballet slippers.  This coloring sheet was a bear to make.  Excel really doesn't want you writing fractions that aren't properly reduced.

Ballet Slipper Fraction Coloring Sheet

While students work, the teacher covering my class read an article connecting dance and physics.

The Physicist Who Figured Out Ballet

I included a few coloring sheets for students to complete if they finished early.

Day 2

For day 2, I had students do a little story telling.

Students started with a warmup asking them to think about what it would be like to be a ballerina.

Writing Warmup

Students look at  Edgar Degas' Study in the Nude of Little Dancer Aged Fourteen as the write a story and listen to their teacher read.

The True Story of the Little Ballerina

Lots of coloring, pretty simple, easy activities for students but the work continues to help them make connections.  I think it can be valuable for our students to keep things low-key during testing.  These activities weren't academically strenuous but the students enjoyed them and I got a little more content covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment